Friday, August 23, 2013

DIY - Refresh an old nightstand

We decided to turn our current office into a guest bedroom this summer. As always we were on a budget and I knew that we needed to at least buy new carpeting and a new queen size bed for the space, leaving minimal $$ for other furnishings.

I decided to refresh an old nightstand we had sitting in the basement:



A solid piece of furniture just out dated. I started by removing the doors and filling in the front grooves that made it feel even more dated.

Let dry for 24 hours, then sand with fine grit paper the entire thing. Doors and main structure. Wipe clean with damp cloth and prime with 2 coats of primer ( I used Kilz ). This step is very important because it sticks to the old finish and makes certain the new paint will last.

Let the primer dry completely, I left it overnight.  Then pick your final paint color and paint the entire thing. I put on 2 coats of paint. And then I decided to give it a POP by decoupaging a patterned fabric onto the top and on the front of both doors to hide the design that still showed through the paint.

Let your decoupage dry completely, again, I left it overnight. The next day it was ready to put back together and view the final project.



It looked so good with the doors back on it, I also want to note that I swapped out the nobs it came with for $0.99 each!

I wasn't sure that the material was a good choice but once I placed it in the room and placed all the decor in place I really started to love it!

This was the first of these projects that I have ever done and was determined to pull it off and I think I did. What DIY project's have you tried like this? As you can see, this really pulls the new guest room together ;)


No comments: