Saturday, August 24, 2013

Who am I? What is my passion; why?

I am very interested in learning as much as I can about all forms of social media.

What makes people congregate to one platform/medium over another. Why people use more than one. How they manage several accounts simultaneously? What makes a person follow someone? What different forms of social are out there, what's new, what's hot, what's not :) and so on and so forth.

I am in the middle of a book that is outstanding. It is taking me a little while to get through it. The reason is that every example given, every story told within it, I want to stop, let it sink in and consider potential ideas of how I might be able to apply it in my current scenarios.

+Mack Collier is the author and the founder of #blogchat as well as #rockstarchat which I try to attend every Wednesday.  What I have learned in the last 30 days from jumping in on these social chats is mind blowing.  Even if you have nothing to add, you can listen and ask questions.  Those involved are there to teach and educate each other, not to sell a product or a service they can offer you.

Mack is "a big believer in the power of teaching your customers rather than simply marketing to them." It's quotes like this that make me pause. Don't you just want to stop and think about that for a minute? If someone teaches me something I now know something I didn't before and continue to turn to them as a resource and on the flip side become a 'fan'.  Whether a person or a brand this concept can be applied.

I didn't know anything about Mack's book until later on in our discussions and never once felt pressured to buy the book. However, after conversing with him and having him share simple insights with me into what makes a customer a fan...I wanted more and +Amazon.com helped made it happen :)

When "Think Like A Rock Star" came in the mail I couldn't wait to start and finish the book, but I found myself hung up on every word. It is triggering ideas one right after another and creating excitement to actually apply what I am learning; at times becoming overwhelming. Where will I start?


The second book I have pictured here is one suggested by a mentor and since I am very much interested in building my personal and professional network; thought it worth the read.  

I believe I have very strong networking skills and that they can assist in furthering myself in my career.  "Your Network is your Net Worth" explains that we all have barriers and it "unlocks the hidden power of connections for wealth, success and happiness in the digital age".  It is what I call, a 'mild self help' book.  Understand who you are, build your networking with your passions, beliefs and values in mind and the sky is the limit.

Reading books like these helps me realize what I know, opens my eyes wide open to other ways of thinking about things and lets me free my mind ... opening the box and thinking outside of it allows you to grow as a person and a professional.

No comments: