Friday, August 23, 2013

DIY - Henniker Brewing Company Coasters

I love buying local and supporting local businesses.  Recently a new business has come into Henniker, NH where our town motto is "The only Henniker on Earth" ... look it up, it's true :)

The beer is quite enjoyable and after a few visits we picked up some of their cardboard coasters. And then I had an idea...with a little resizing of them I could make these permanent, reusable coasters.

I purchased some 4x4 marble tiles from Lowes, a box of 8 will run around $3.98. Then I traced the size of the tile onto the cardboard coaster and used some serious scissors to cut the cardboard coasters to size.

I then applied ModgePodge to the tile and placed the cardboard coaster on top. Let it dry or at least become tacky to the touch and then start applying even coats of ModgePodge to the top and sides. Pushing the cardboard coaster down and making sure it is adhering to the tile evenly.

Be sure to let it dry completely between each coat, it could take several hours. If you don't they will look hazy or cloudy - as you will see in the below pictures...I did them a little too fast and they have a cloudy look to them.

I don't have a picture that shows the backs. I do put rubber stoppers on the bottoms so they don't slide or scratch surfaces as well as it makes them easier to pick up and move around. The finished product really impressed me.  What do you think?



No comments: