Friday, August 23, 2013

DIY - Old, ripped lamp shade; no problem

As you know if you have been following along. We are turning our office into a guest bedroom and on a budget.

The room has an overhead light fixture with a fan unit included on the ceiling. As we all know, when you are getting ready for bed or up during the night you don't want a large bright light shining light to the entire room. I needed a bedside lamp. So yet again I ventured down to the basement to see what we had lying around.

Up came this:


How awesome is this find, right? Just a rip on the left side that goes straight through and some dated scallop design :)

I decided the theme of the room since the DIY project of the nightstand was going to be a vintage/antique theme.

So I knew I wanted to give decoupage another try and I chose to look up on Google images vintage travel items like ticket stubs, maps and old labels for whiskey and such.  I then printed these out on ivory, tan and blue paper on my home printer.  After cutting them all out I placed them on the table in piles by theme and went to brushing on the ModgePodge Decoupage glue with a foam roller (I have used the foam brushes and feeling the roller works the best since it doesn't pull on the paper with every stroke).

Apply the glue in small sections and place the paper pieces randomly around applying more glue on top and layering as you go.  I also covered the inside of this lamp shade because the scallop design was hard to cover when the lamp was turned on.  Check out the finished project!




What do you think?

After this project I was very excited to put some other items in the room to match and the lamp and pull it all together so I decided to repurpose some coasters that had a cafe theme on them and then pulled some old pieces of wood pieces out of the shed, cleaned them up with a wire brush and installed them to really put some functional antique pieces into the room.


And because I went a little crazy while making the coasters I actually went on to cover the wooden TV tray I was using as a working surface and it now sits as a spare table in the guest bedroom. :) 

Had a blast with this project! Things like this are easy to get sucked into. Give it a try and let me know how it goes.

No comments: