Sunday, April 6, 2014

Challenge me, I dare you.

I definitely love me a good challenge.  Make it a fitness challenge and I am all in.

I wanted a little strength training before bed but something I could do quickly in the living room after my daughter went to bed. 

The first challenge I did was a Plank Challenge. I started out with a goal to hit a 2 minute plank. When I hit my goal well within the 30 days I set my ultimate goal of holding a 5 minute plank.  


I didn't exactly stick to the above chart.  I simply tried to hold a plank for as long as I possibly could each time I tried.  How long depended on what other workout I did that day, what I had eaten and how focused I could stay throughout my hold. Anything over 3 minutes seemed like an accomplishment for me.  Every second longer was a celebration.  It turns out that I hold a longer plank when pissed off.  The nights I was able to hold for the longest I was either determined for some new reason or upset about not hitting my goal.  The night I finally hit my goal I believe that I was so focused that I could hear my heart beating through my chest.


One of the best feelings...reaching your goal.
You have to keep doing it to maintain it however.  I can easily hold a 2 minute plank, perhaps a little longer but I would have to work just as hard I think to pull off another 5 minute plank.  It took me probably 45 days to hit 5 minutes.

As you have probably guessed, it wasn't my last challenge. I quickly moved onto other challenges brought on by what areas I wanted to work on more.  The Plank was to help strengthen my overall core including my back.

My next was a Chair or Triceps Dip.  What I did wrong is that I didn't set a goal for this one, I just wanted to do more each time.  I believe I got to 18 at the most.
Putting your butt all the way to the ground and having your elbows even with your shoulders is a true triceps workout.  I definitely toned during this challenge.

The last challenge I did was to do 20 spider push ups.  I did reach this goal but I didn't do it every night like I did the Plank or the Triceps Dip Challenge.  I could have perhaps pushed well past 20 with more effort. 

I have been looking for another challenge and think I have found it. 




You can read more about it here: 30 Day Squat Challenge
I love squats so I am going to be pushing for 300 instead of the posted 250 goal.

I use #StrengthChallenge when posting results so stay tuned.

No comments: