Thursday, April 3, 2014

Crafty Cakes

Birthday cupcakes good enough for a princess.

Every year I try to do something creative for my daughters birthday cake to make is special.  

When she turned 3 I made cupcakes in ice cream cones with homemade tie dyed frosting.



They were a huge hit at daycare as all the kids loved that they could hold them and eat them like an ice cream cone.

They weren't actually that hard to make, you simply bake the cake mix right in the ice cream cones and you mix up different colors of frosting and place them on different sides of a piping bag, and squeeze the frosting out until the colors start mixing together as they come out. 

When I asked her what she wanted to her 4th birthday she said a big cake. So to make it a surprise I made her a big cake with a secret inside.



It didn't turn out quite like I had envisioned it however it was still tasty and she loved it.  

I truly enjoy making these cakes for my daughter and with the addition of Pinterest in my life it made her 5th birthday the best one yet.  

The challenge this year was picking which amazingly creative project to do.  When I saw this one it shouted her name and I just knew.  Princess cupcakes, a different one for each party goer.  And super hero ones for any boys that are brave enough to join all these giggling girls.

So it began. The gathering of the materials to make these cupcakes come to life.
A cupcake mold that makes the dress form
Professional grade food coloring ... in every color
Mattel Disney Princess' with snap on dresses
Aside from those items you head to Michael's craft store and stock up on piping bags because you will go through about 10 to 20 of them depending on how many times you swap out colors, one suggestion would be to get more tips to screw on and have a piping bag of every color you will need, I kept swapping because I only had one of the two tips I was using.

To start I backed the cupcakes, cut the muffin tops off and sat to cool.  I also baked an entire cake for the adults and those children that might not like chocolate cake, I made it vanilla. 





While the cakes are baking and cooling I took the time to take all of the princess and super hero figures out of the packaging, take the dresses off of them and wrap the lower portion of their bodies in saran wrap as to not get frosting and cake in their hinged parts.
When ready start frosting the cupcakes as you wish.  With the help of my mother we frosted the cupcakes to match each princess that we were doing. Once the cupcake is frosted, simply push the princess into the top and continue to frost the details.


Continue this for all of the cupcakes. I found myself having to get up and stretch a few times, it took awhile but was a great time to spend with my mom and to bond over some crafty cupcakes!



To see the look on my daughters face and the face of all the little girls at her party was worth the day of baking, frosting and decorating.

I didn't forget the boys but theirs definitely weren't as amazing.
Here are some pictures from the party.

The vanilla cake for the adults. Ariel is her favorite princess.

Absolutely love creating these amazing baked good for my daughter on her special day.  It only leaves the following question: What will I do next year!?


No comments: